The individual will join the Global Storage Team which is part of Technology Services, the department responsible for delivering IT services to all lines of business within the Bank
The role will provide support and management of the Backup infrastructure that underpins many of the Bank’s business critical services hosted Global Data Centres as well as in-country tech centres.
The Backup Administrator will report to the Global Backup Service Manager and work closely with other members of the team to fulfil operational and project tasks that will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Provision, configure, maintain and troubleshoot multiple Backup Domains hosted in Core DC as well as in-country.
- Identify and implement improvements to enhance, optimise and stabilise backup infrastructure, making proactive recommendations to the Backup Service Manager. This will include, but not be limited to, areas of capacity, performance, availability, stability, cost and support roadmaps.
- Perform periodic capacity and performance planning of the Backup infrastructure and inform the Backup Service Manager of key findings and recommendations.
- Respond to and resolve Backup related incidents, managing all necessary communication with other technical teams and the management team.
- Participate in an on-call and shift rota to support internal business customers of the Backup service.
- Perform daily operations such as daily health checks.
- Support auditory, regulatory and risk and compliance initiatives that contain deliverables related to the Backup service.
The individual will be expected to have a good knowledge of core IT protocols and systems (virtualisation, servers, networks, storage, databases, data centres, and security) and, ideally, have a system administration background. The role will demand the ability to learn new platforms and technologies and apply this knowledge to business needs.
The individual is expected to understand the principles of backup and disaster recovery methodologies.
The individual will have an awareness of the responsibilities and dependencies of a storage team within a large IT department, and use this knowledge to develop relationships with other teams, with a view to becoming a key member of the department.
- The person should have excellent written and verbal communications skills, being able to converse in a clear and concise manner with contacts within Technology Services and the business.
- Excellent documentation skills, capable of delivering procedural documentation of a high standard.
- Excellent technical problem-solving and analytical ability.
- Familiarity with operational IT disciplines such as problem, change and risk management, project management and status reporting.
- An ability to work proactively and without continuous supervision, taking responsibility for the areas in which they work and performing research when necessary.
- The person will be prudent and pay close attention to detail when performing storage related tasks.
- The person will deliver operational and project commitments to a high standard.
- The person will have awareness of the department’s procedures, and support the management team when responding to support incidents and service failures.
- Team working skills are essential.
- Ability to work in pressurised environment.
- Ability to prioritise work load.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Veritas NetBackup and ARCserve
- Design, configure and support the following:
- Veritas Netbackup and ARCserve
- DELL EMC Data Domain / Veritas Appliance / VTL
- Virtual Servers backup technologies (VPROXY/VBA)
- Physical Tape Libraries (Quantum/IBM/Oracle)
- NAS Filer Backup configurations and Troubleshooting
- Tape Encryption Technologies
- DELL EMC DPA / VERITAS OPSCENTER / APTARE Reporting tools – monitoring, alerting, capacity, performance
- Basic understanding of SAN Fabric, Zoning etc…
- Have a good understanding and experience of Backup Domain migrations, Client upgrades
- An awareness of UNIX/Linux, Windows and virtualisation platforms (VMware, Hyper-V) and their integration with Backup technologies
- Scripting skills (desirable)
Bachelor’s degree in a computer science related discipline, or equivalent business experience